Saturday 31 January 2015

Monthly Homework Assignment: On the Cutting Table

The Professor Z's this month's homework assignment is about unfinished projects we have, knitting, sewing and so on. My project is really not even in the beginning, because I've been really busy this week and had not time to find materials and right knitting equipment.


My friend gave me a brand new Finnish knitting book for goths and I really want to make some of their knitted clothes. Now that I have stated this in public, I really have to get those yarns! The book is made by Mila Duktig and Marjukka Vuorisalo, the title is Synkät kuteet - Musta neulekirja which means something like Grim clothes - the Black Knitting Book. Here is the blog of Mila Duktig and Marjukka Vuorisalo. It is mostly in Finnish, but there are entries in English too.

Source

My ultimate favorite and the one I plan to try to make myself is Gargoyle. It is a long skirt that has a subtle print of a huge gargoyle on the hem. It is subtle because one does not use different color or yarn to make it, it is done simply by knitting purl stitches. I am currently in the United States due to things related to my studies, so unfortunately I do not have the book with me at the moment. I only took photocopies of quite awful quality of the instruction and they are not suited for showing in a blog. Neither can I find photos of the Gargoyle online. Instead here is one of the cutest products in the book, A Mustard Gas - sleeping bag for infants! I might try to make this too, since in my circle of friends there are going to be two babies in a few months.

Source

Do click the Monthly Homework Assignment badge and check what Professor herself and other participants have posted! I am a bit annoyed I did not get the yarn in time for this post, but that's life. I've been in Washington DC for a week now and I have barely got rid of jet lag. My mission is to get that skirt with a gargoyle finished during my stay here! I am spending here three months, so I believe this is indeed achievable challenge for me. As long as I find some decent store where I can get me some cable needles and good black yarn. If you know or have a favorite place you can recommend, please mention it in a comment!

12 comments:

  1. Washington for three months ... how fun! I hope you get your yarn soon because I'd love to see your project. On the other hand, maybe it's better to spend all your free time sightseeing rather than knitting!

    It looks like they are trying to get that book translated into English ... another good one for the bookcase! I can't say the same for the Vampire Knits book I just got. Sometimes it doesn't pay to order online when you can't look at the patterns first. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is quite true, the patterns might be nice, but they might as well be corny as hell. :D I am fond of only like 60% of this "Grim Clothes" -books instructions, but that is enough for me!

      Delete
  2. Sounds wonderful!

    Musrard gas, is that a joke about babies making smells? Hee hee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought of it that way, but you're right it might well be referring to baby-smell! :D

      Delete
  3. The sleeping bag is really cute, and the book sounds intriguing. Must give it a look if I ever get to a library or bookstore from the lovely, abandoned Finnish countryside :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the sound of your skirt and look forward to the complete item. I wish I could knit and understand Finnish as the book sounds fascination

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I speak Finnish and I have a hard time understanding most knitting instructions. :P Its because my skills are so limited and I only know how to make a sock, nothing more.

      Delete
  5. WOW! Thanks for the link to their blog!!! And you're in DC? Any plans on visiting NYC soon? If so let me know, I'll be happy to meet you for lunch or dinner ... or a trip to the MMA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually do plan to have a long weekend at New York at some point in March or April and I would love to meet you, though I am not sure about the Mixed Martial Arts. But I guess you meant MOMA. :) Or did you, you seem like such a cool person that you actually might suggest people meet up at a Fighting Sports Club! :D

      Delete
  6. This is so cool! Iliterally lol'ed about the baby sleeping bag, I need one in my life (maybe adult sized because of the lack of children) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too wondered, if that pattern for sleeping bag could be made into a bag or something. :)

      Delete