Sunday 22 February 2015

Goth Bloggers Meeting at Sleepy Hollow Ballet in Washington DC

Me and Goth Gardener
As I mentioned in the Homework Assignment post, I am spending three months in Washington DC. It is to do with my studies but luckily I do have time for social life too. Today I met the lovely goth blogger Goth Gardener at the John F. Kennedy Center of Performing Arts, after the Sleepy Hollow Ballet! First I review the show and then tell about our meet up.

The show itself was ok. The first half of the ballet was better, the choreography was decent and the set was nice. So were the costumes though they weren't as elaborate and wonderful as I had thought. Some of the innovations for props were lovely, for example the horses Ichabod Crane and the Headless Horseman rode. They were sort of steampunkish and rough but beautiful. 

I was surprised how much media was used during the show. They screened texts at the back wall during some of the dances, introducing characters and to tell one story that Ichabod Crane was reading from a book. I was not disturbed by the decision to screen them, but I had not seen stuff like that before in a ballet. Usually information like that is in the little leaflets one can buy before show. 

I sat on the balcony, the second best seat, and unfortunately I could not see half of the texts that appeared on the back screen during the performance. There was some ornamental fabric hanging from the front of the stage. So one really big fat minus for the settings because of that! How could they not think about a thing like that? My ticket cost more than 100 dollars and I could not see the bloody texts! They were really vital on the story inside the ballet, that Mr. Crane was reading. I did not have a clue what was going on in the story, since it was not part of the original Sleepy Hollow short story.

That was on the second half of the show and I must say it was a disappointment. The horror story was interrupted by some weird scene of pumpkins. Even worse, those pumpkins were small children, who danced a little dance. Most of the audience said "Aww!" But me and as I would later find out, Goth Gardener too, thought it was creepy. What would the people of Sleepy Hollow do with pumpkins? Carve them

The interruption continued with the other short story inside the main story Sleepy Hollow. It was some weird village theater and it was poorly executed. It was supposed to be funny I guess, with one of the dancers pretending to be a dog that peed everywhere. I think it might have been another short story by Washington Irving, who is the author of the Sleepy Hollow ghost story, but I could not see the darn texts on the back of the stage!

Our reaction to the second half.
Some things about the show and architecture differed from European ballet and opera houses. I found that interesting, so I am going to share it with you. First of all it was odd that I could not see the orchestra from the balcony. In all opera and ballet houses I've been you must see the orchestra or at least the conductor. The music is what brings the show to life and therefore the conductor is one of most important persons. As soon as you see the conductor appear, you are going to give a round of applause! In order to do that you need to see the person.

The other thing I found different and irritating too was the habit of spotlights on main characters (dancers) in group dances or scenes. The light of the spots was too cold, it did not highlight the lead dancers well, instead they made it harder to enjoy of the whole choreography the dancers were a part of. When they were alone on the stage it was pointless too, the light made the set vanish a bit since many of the sets were screened and that is light too. Besides, we could see the dancers clearly anyway. I have not noticed this habit in the ballets I've seen in Helsinki or Paris. I am pretty sure they do not do it, though of coarse they might just do it well and therefore I had not noticed it. 

Third thing that was uncommon for me was that people would eat candy and stuff during the show. Not a lot of coarse and not most of the people I'm sure, but when the woman next to me started to rustle her M&M's I just kindly turned to her and said "Excuse me, could you please NOT? Thank you." 

Now to the more fun part of the evening; the goth bloggers meeting! I read from Goth Gardener's blog, that she and her man were going to see the ballet and since I am in DC and thought the ballet and another goth would be nice to see, we decided to see also each other. 

We met after the show and went to the cafeteria to grab a bite. Goth Gardener was so nice and sweet and it was tremendous that we both did not like the show so much! She said she had worried for a fleeting moment that I might not like her, since she is so quirky. I laughed and said, that why should I not have liked her, since she wrote about her life and thoughts in her blog! I was a tiny bit worried that I would not be like she might have thought based on my blog posts, since till recently I have been quite private even though my blog is public! 

Here we are (yet again) on royal red carpet. :D All pictures except the second photo of the Sleepy Hollow poster and stuff was taken by Goth Gardeners man, so a big and warm thank you for him! 

We had a great time, even so that it was a bit hectic to try to get her and her man to the train on time. The weather was a bit inconvenient, snow and wind, but luckily our winter coats were warm and Goth Gardener even had an umbrella, with extremely cute print!

Thank you for reading! Me and Goth Gardener plan to meet again and go do some quirky and goth-y stuff, and we both most certainly are going to blog about it!

13 comments:

  1. Although the ballet seems to have been a bit of a disappointment, you still look like you had a blast! I'd love to meet some people from the States whose blogs I read for years!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. :D We did have a great time. I have been in touch with Franny from The Curious Professor Z too, we plan to meet in April.

      Delete
    2. Not one but two meet-ups! You are a lucky girl! :)

      Delete
  2. I love this post! I would love to meet fellow bloggers. I would be dissappointed in the ballet too, I am sorry to hear that you did not have a good time. I am glad that you did have a good time meeting goth gardener though! You two look so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sylvie, we were talking about meeting other bloggers and I determined that you're not *that* far away. I had a conference in Hamilton a few years ago so I'm always looking that way.

      Thanks!

      Delete
    2. That is true, Canada is after all a neighboring country! ^^ And thank you for the compliments, Sylvie!

      Delete
  3. I am jealous that you got to meet! I wish I had enough money to pay for us all to meet! The ballet sounds very interesting, but the attempted humourous/ cute things sound a bit annoying. It is also annoying when you cannot see all of what is going on!

    I love your outfits!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I wish we could have a blog convention. That would be so much fun!

      Delete
    2. Meeting you would be awesome! I guess I need to start to save money in order to really meet all the bloggers I'd like to meet. :D

      Delete
  4. We had so much fun sans the performance (Bwa ha ha ha).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow, you are both such pale, intriguing and intelligent looking beauties!

    I wish I was at the age when studies brought me around the world, but I guess I already did that... I hope you have a fabulous time, it sure sounds like it.

    ReplyDelete