Wednesday 20 May 2015

Sneak a peek of my life

I think I should stop making promises about the next post's content unless I've already written it. :D In my last post I said the next one will be a book review but I have had so much other stuff going on in my life for the past three weeks!

First of all, I've traveled back to Finland from the United States. Alas, my time abroad has ended but I must confess I am relatively happy to be back in my home country. I was in Helsinki just in time for the celebrations of May 1 and the wonderful Finnish summer that is not too humid nor too hot for a person who likes to dress all black!

For a couple of months I was quite stressed about the fact that I had no summer job when I returned to Finland. I am happy to announce this no longer stresses me and I have an interesting work opportunity for the summer. It is even related to the field I am studying at the university! I shall spend my summer in the vicinity of Helsinki and to be frank I have no idea where I'll be living when Autumn comes. It all depends on my studies, are there courses I can attend at the University of Tampere and are there so many of them that it is smart to move into the city once more.

For these short three weeks I have visited my university for the one last seminar of this spring and at the same time I met with my student friends and also friends who I have known much longer. It was actually pretty weird to be in my university city Tampere for the first time this year! I felt like a tourist.
Tourist photos from Tampere!
Last weekend was Ropecon, Finland's biggest roleplaying convention. It is also the largest independent roleplaying convention in Europe and it has international honorary guests and a lot of programs are in English. It is a family friendly convention and I was amazed how many tiny creatures (=children) in cool costumes there were! The convention lasts a whole weekend but I went to Ropecon only on Saturday, mostly to see many friends I had not seen this whole year since I went to USA in January and only returned three weeks ago.
The Unreality Choir performing songs from Skyrim and Doctor Who
The most entertaining program I saw was the Unreality choir's performance. They sang well-known tunes from games and scifi/fantasy TV-shows and it was all really nice. Also, people in Ropecon tend to be on good humor and they are really supportive to all those people who have made an effort to produce program. The atmosphere in the whole convention is great, or at least that is how I perceived it.

That's about it of my life at the moment. I am relatively certain that in two weeks I can pester myself into writing that book review I was going to post "next". ;) Thanks for reading!

12 comments:

  1. What a beautiful cathedral! Ropecon sounds great! I hope your university related work goes well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! ^_^ That cathedral has some really amazing artwork inside it too!

      Delete
  2. Glad we were able to hang out while you were here but glad for you that you're home especially because the weather here (visiting in New Orleans) is hot and humid.

    Ropecon looks like it was fun:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so nice to meet with you, one of the best things on my trip! :D

      Delete
  3. I bet it's nice to be back home, Jade!

    I love all cons - Comic, Horror - whatever. Everybody is always in a good mood and happy to be there. Sounds like Ropecon is the same. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is nice to be home. :D And I think most geeky conventions have a hospitable atmosphere, maybe because most geeks tend to stay secluded most of the time and a convention is a rare social situation and everybody wants to make the best of it.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. It was! My inner fan-girl was screaming the whole show. ^___^*

      Delete
  5. ok, sorry i had to laugh on the next topic, we all have that thing sometimes, real life. eating blogging time, still sounds like you had some fun and congrats on the job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I did write it with firm intention to stir up laughter, so no reason to be sorry. :D Thank you for the congrats!

      Delete
  6. I never plan my next posts because I simply don't know how to stick to plans, so I prefer to just leave it and blog about whatever comes to my mind, haha.

    Tampere looks beautiful!

    I miss cons, but I haven't gone to the ones in my city lately, mostly because I never know when there's something happening, HAHA. Oh, I love Doctor Who and its soundtrack, so I bet Unreality's Choir did a good job, haha. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to stick to plans but clearly failing a bit. :D

      Delete