Monday 27 August 2012

Warsaw: Books and dark architecture

As I earlier mentioned, I was on a weekend-trip to Warsaw. It was a group of writers, who write books for youth and children. First we went to see the Warsaw university's library which was an amazing building. The architect's key idea was to make a sort of a symbiosis between nature and city. The whole place was full of plants and it looked like it was from a sci-fi film.


The library had a huge roof garden, but when looking at the pictures one could think it is just some ordinary garden. Also, the coldness of last winter had killed some of the plants and it looked a bit dull.

The non-living green parts are copper and I must say I think it looked very stylish. The grey color of concrete made the place serene.

I adored other houses too. These were homes for humans instead of books and I just wish I some day could live in a house like them. Unfortunately that sort of places are not common in my hometown or even in Finland, so to fulfill my dream I must wait some years.

A detail, size of a small child
Private apartments, judging by the stuff on the balconies

Unfortunately the weather was a bit gloomy and chilly. It rained on Sunday, so I had to cancel the plan to go to the parks and visit all those palaces. Well, it leaves a reason to visit Warsaw again. I felt the weekend was way too short time to really get to know that city. I actually half-serious thought about spending a year in the university, since there can be studied Scandinavian languages.


Traffic Club




In Warsaw there was this gorgeous book store, Traffic Club. It was 5 floors, there was a cafeteria and armchairs to sit and browse the books, there were movies, music, office stuff and lots of other pretty and interesting things.

I bought seven books from there. Those were old classics like Dracula, The Phantom of the Opera and Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde. Not fancy editions, just plain old Penguin Popular Classics. I wanted them because of the content, not looks. Though I must say some of special edition books are desirable.



No comments:

Post a Comment